Monday, July 15, 2013

12th Night Act 5: Most Wonderful!

Act 5 only has one massive scene, so here we go...
The clown and fabian start off the scene and I then Orsino and iola join the party- I think Orsino is at his most interesting when interacting with Feste.They have a little talk about friends and foes-
Truly, sir, the better for my foes and the worse for my friends...they praise me and make an ass of me; now my foes tell me plainly I am an ass: so that by my foes, sir I profit in the knowledge of myself, and by my friends, I am abused
and then we get even more awesome details about Antonio... seriously y'all- go spread the news that Antonio is one of the best parts in this play!!
Orsino, this is that Antonio That took the Phoenix and her fraught from Candy; And this is he that did the Tiger board, When your young nephew Titus lost his leg:
Also spread the news that the name Titus bodes about as well as the name Judas... oh, did I mention Titus Andronicus is next up on this blog? Of course Antonio denies a few of these thigns, but it doesn't make him less badass.
Antonio never yet was thief or pirate, Though I confess, on base and ground enough, Orsino's enemy. A witchcraft drew me hither: That most ingrateful boy there by your side, From the rude sea's enraged and foamy mouth Did I redeem;
Orsino is frustrated when Olivia comes out to find that NO MEANS NO:
OLIVIA 
If it be aught to the old tune, my lord,
It is as fat and fulsome to mine ear
As howling after music.
DUKE ORSINO 
Still so cruel?  
OLIVIA 
Still so constant, lord.
ZING! win one for Olivia. Meanwhile, Viola, for the first time in the play, seems to be in need of a sassy gay friend as she's on board with Orsino killing or maiming her:
And I, most jocund, apt and willingly, To do you rest, a thousand deaths would die.
Then there's that part where everyone tries to say "husband" as many times as possible (I happen to love this bit, but I also love that word...)
OLIVIA 
Whither, my lord? Cesario, husband, stay.
DUKE ORSINO 
Husband!  
OLIVIA 
Ay, husband: can he that deny?
DUKE ORSINO 
Her husband, sirrah!
The priest says some lovely things about marriage:
A contract of eternal bond of love,  
Confirm'd by mutual joinder of your hands,  
Attested by the holy close of lips,  
Strengthen'd by interchangement of your rings;  
And all the ceremony of this compact  
Seal'd in my function, by my testimony:
and more confusion ensues... for the second time in the play I dislike Sir toby, much as I adore the character, because I adore sir andrew even more and there's a line between manipulation and being just plain mean:
SIR ANDREW 
I'll help you, Sir Toby, because well be dressed together.
SIR TOBY BELCH 
Will you help? an ass-head and a coxcomb and a knave, a thin-faced knave, a gull!
 And then Sebastian shows up, prompting all sorts of wonderfulness, such as Orsino's line that my favorite scholar, mr. booth, seems to use as a basis for most of his work- is and is not. (the is and is not conundrum actually helped me piece out my thoughts about Dan, but that kind of work/feeling is not best related via blog post...)
DUKE ORSINO 
 One face, one voice, one habit, and two persons, A natural perspective, that is and is not!
and then we have Olivia's funniest line in the play:
Most wonderful!
ACTOR. GOLD. and finally, the overly long reunion scene that I wouldn't shorten one iamb:
A spirit I am indeed;
But am in that dimension grossly clad
Which from the womb I did participate.
 Were you a woman, as the rest goes even,  
I should my tears let fall upon your cheek,  
And say 'Thrice-welcome, drowned Viola!'
On the one hand you want them to get on with it and "figure it out" and on the other- you want this moment of anticipation/excitement/and joy to last forever!!! THen we have to deal with the whole Malvolio situation:
Look then to be well edified when the fool delivers the madman.
but there's also Olivia's kind offer to amend things with Orsino:
My lord so please you, these things further thought on,
To think me as well a sister as a wife,
One day shall crown the alliance on't, so please you,
Here at my house and at my proper cost.
DUKE ORSINO
 
Madam, I am most apt to embrace your offer. 
To VIOLA 
Your master quits you; and for your service done him,
So much against the mettle of your sex, 
So far beneath your soft and tender breeding, 
And since you call'd me master for so long, 
Here is my hand: you shall from this time be 
Your master's mistress.
OLIVIA 
A sister! you are she.
That's my other favorite Olivia line. That she is willing to step over any awkwardness/embarassment/or shame and simply embrace Viola as a sister. (There's an oscar wilde line about sisters I could insert here... but i'll resist the urge)
OH, and did I mention that Maria and Toby get married? If you missed it its b/c it basically happens "in a footnote" as I once read but could not tell you the source now:
We had conceived against him: Maria writ The letter at Sir Toby's great importance; In recompense whereof he hath married her.
And malvolio's famous exit line:
I'll be revenged on the whole pack of you.
Orsino wants Malvolio to come back but really only for his own selfish desires:
Pursue him and entreat him to a peace:  
He hath not told us of the captain yet:  
When that is known and golden time convents,  
A solemn combination shall be made  
Of our dear souls. Meantime, sweet sister,  
We will not part from hence. Cesario, come;  
For so you shall be, while you are a man;  
But when in other habits you are seen,
Orsino's mistress and his fancy's queen.
Dear every production of 12th night: please play a very awkward pause after Cesario come. Thanks.

And finally Feste ends the play with another gorgeous song- here's one i could find on youtube, though I think the winner in my personal performance history might be Brooks singing with his Ukelele during the Pepperdine performance (pictured above)... in the meantime enjoy Ben Kingsley from his pre-Iron Man days ;)

 COME AWAY DEATH!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment