Thursday, July 11, 2013

12th Night Act 4: Why I love Sebastian...

Hello all!
Well, Midsummer is blocked, Theatre Artist Studio camp ends tomorrow, and lots of exciting things on the horizon... so another rather brief post in my post-rehearsal zombie-ish state....
4.1
The scene in which you forget Sebastian is a "small part" because he has all the best lines. Lines such as:
I prithee, foolish Greek, depart from me: There's money for thee: if you tarry longer, I shall give worse payment.
Foolish Greek, depart from me! Fantastic.
Why, there's for thee, and there, and there. Are all the people mad?
Are all the people mad is pretty much a guaranteed laugh line. I've seen superior actors play Sebastian and sub-par performers play Sebastian, but this line is a fail safe. Also, "are all the people mad" could be put on SO MANY PRODUCTS in our theoretical etsy shop...
Or I am mad, or else this is a dream: Let fancy still my sense in Lethe steep; If it be thus to dream, still let me sleep!
Any time Lethe comes up in a line I smile (maybe because I was so in love with the line where Amintor references it in the Maids Tragedy?) Also... I can relate Sebastian. The sentiment reminds me of one of my favorite Jason Robert Brown songs and the lyric "when paradise calls me, I'd rather be here...." LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL.

4.2
The scene where everyone tortures Malvolio and the fool inexplicably acts like different people. an actors playground but its hard for me to get into this scene. mostly because I don't like being on Malvolio's side, and with this scene I'm ALWAYS on Malvolio's side...
I say, this house is as dark as ignorance, though ignorance were as dark as hell; and I say, there was never man thus abused.
There's also something interesting that reminds me of Much Ado when Malvolio seems to think the truth will out on paper.
Good fool, some ink, paper and light; and convey what I will set down to my lady: it shall advantage thee more than ever the bearing of letter did.

4.3
This scene starts with Sebastian's fantastic monologue that I like more and more every time I see it performed. There's something so perfect about the opening line:
This is the air; that is the glorious sun;
and the way we go from that line to this conclusion about his relationship with Olivia:
I am mad
Or else the lady's mad; yet, if 'twere so,
She could not sway her house, command her followers,
Take and give back affairs and their dispatch
With such a smooth, discreet and stable bearing
As I perceive she does: there's something in't
That is deceiveable.

But regardless of who is mad... Sebastian seems to be OK with Olivia's proposal (yeah, Ladies proposing- NOT A NEW THING.) also I love Olivia's words here, I feel like I felt that crazy anticipation before my wedding:
Now go with me and with this holy man
Into the chantry by: there, before him,
And underneath that consecrated roof,
Plight me the full assurance of your faith;
That my most jealous and too doubtful soul
May live at peace.

And since Sebastian has no complaints, off they go to the chapel to get married.
Then lead the way, good father; and heavens so shine, That they may fairly note this act of mine!
The heavens so shine- BEAUTIFUL.
OK, told you it would be short. Just want to make sure to keep myself blogging, even during busy times. (It's kind of fun doing theatre 16 hours a day, but it will definitely be nice to sleep again, etc.)
I leave you with this- John Harrell playing Feste in one of the few productions i was intrigued/engaged in the "dark room" scene instead of just annoyed by how long the scene goes on. Part of it was the way the scene was staged, part was the performers themselves, part was just because of my infatuation with life and that show, stolen with the rest of the photos i've used from the ASC facebook page.

John Harrel as Feste in TWELFTH NIGHT; photo by Tommy Thompson

c

No comments:

Post a Comment