Monday, July 8, 2013

12th Night Act 3: Cross gartered stockings and more...

OK, definitely wont have time to blog tomorrow and buzzing from rehearsals tonight so figured i may as well try and blog, but it's going to be a brief one...
3.1
If you doubted Viola's smarts before- then it's hard to after this scene. If she weren't brilliant I don't think she would threaten Feste the way she does. I have seen this seen even more times in class work at different points than i have in performance but I always love it (I'm looking at you Casey C. with your Beer song singing Feste, or you David A with your truly lovely work on this scene our first year....)
Viola and Feste exchange some lovely words about the problem with equivocation and the short comings of words. And we find that the fool is not a fan of Viola...
VIOLA 
I warrant thou art a merry fellow and carest for nothing.
Clown 
Not so, sir, I do care for something; but in my conscience, sir, I do not care for you: if that be to care for nothing, sir, I would it would make you invisible.
This is not just snarky fooling. this is MEAN. Personally, I think the clown is threatened by Viola... I also think he sees through the gender bending charade:
Clown 
Now Jove, in his next commodity of hair, send thee a beard!
VIOLA 
By my troth, I'll tell thee, I am almost sick for one; though I would not have it grow on my chin.
:insert argument about just HOW DIRTY to make that line here:
I would play Lord Pandarus of Phrygia, sir, to bring a Cressida to this Troilus.
TROILUS AND CRESSIDA REFERENCE! always cracks me up... oh Pandarus...
SIR TOBY BELCH 
Taste your legs, sir; put them to motion.
VIOLA 
My legs do better understand me, sir, than I understand what you mean by bidding me taste my legs.
THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE JOKES!!! I love it. I love it so much.
I had rather hear you to solicit that Than music from the spheres.
Etsy shop.
VIOLA 
I pity you.
OLIVIA 
That's a degree to love.
Always reminds me of "sweet Phoebe, pity me!" and Olivia gets a fabulous laugh on this line EVERY TIME.
OLIVIA 
I prithee, tell me what thou thinkest of me.
VIOLA 
That you do think you are not what you are.  
OLIVIA 
If I think so, I think the same of you.
VIOLA 
Then think you right: I am not what I am.
Again, there's something less manipulative with what Viola says to Olivia, she's trying SO HARD to help this poor woman that she sees as having so much in common with herself... everything gets so nicely set up here to believe that they should be thrilled about being sisters (you know, once you get past all the awkward)

3.2
A short scene, I"ll sum up:
 toby and fabian asking sir andrew to stay, telling him to write a letter, then maria comes with news of Malvolio and they all rush in to see the madness/embarrassment.

3.3
Remember when I said that Antonio was amazing? Here's an example:
I could not stay behind you: my desire, More sharp than filed steel, did spur me forth;
SO BEAUTIFUL! and of course Sebastian's response made a little appearance on our Thank You cards from our wedding:
I can no other answer make but thanks, And thanks; and ever... (THANKS!)
We hear more about Antonio's rockin pirate days
I do not without danger walk these streets: Once, in a sea-fight, 'gainst the count his galleys I did some service; of such note indeed, That were I ta'en here it would scarce be answer'd.
So not only is Antonio RISKING HIS LIFE just to BE NEAR Sebastian, he wants to buy him anything his heart desires. he's crazy in love y'all.
Haply your eye shall light upon some toy You have desire to purchase; and your store, I think, is not for idle markets, sir.
and thus ends the scene. seriously y'all... cast a good antonio. PLEASE.
3.4
The payoff of the Malvolio gulling. there's not much to talk about so I'll just show you these pictures from various production:



OLIVIA 
Wilt thou go to bed, Malvolio?
MALVOLIO 
To bed! ay, sweet-heart, and I'll come to thee.
 OLIVIA 
 God comfort thee! Why dost thou smile so and kiss thy hand so oft?
and who doesn't love the set up/build of this line?!
MALVOLIO 
'Be not afraid of greatness:' 'twas well writ.
OLIVIA 
What meanest thou by that, Malvolio?
 MALVOLIO 
'Some are born great,'--
OLIVIA 
Ha! MALVOLIO 
'Some achieve greatness,'--
OLIVIA 
What sayest thou?
MALVOLIO 
'And some have greatness thrust upon them.'
Anyone want to explain why this next part with Maria and Sir Toby etc. seems to last forever?
MARIA 
Get him to say his prayers, good Sir Toby, get him to pray.
MALVOLIO My prayers, minx!
MARIA 
No, I warrant you, he will not hear of godliness.
and THEN the play starts potentially taking a very dark turn... which I happen to love:
FABIAN 
Why, we shall make him mad indeed.
MARIA 
The house will be the quieter.  
SIR TOBY BELCH 
Come, we'll have him in a dark room and bound.
Wow. That escalated fast. I mean that really got out of hand.... Now we're joking with the puritan and now we are BINDING HIM IN A DARK ROOM. WHAT?!?!

but back to sir aguecheek and his amazing letter taunting "cesario"
'Fare thee well; and God have mercy upon one of our souls! He may have mercy upon mine; but my hope is better, and so look to thyself. Thy friend, as thou usest him, and thy sworn enemy, ANDREW AGUECHEEK.
and another wink to viola being a girl (again with the Rosalind echoes)
Pray God defend me! A little thing would make me tell them how much I lack of a man.
THEN ANTONIO comes in and is AMAZING again AS ALWAYS:
One, sir, that for his love dares yet do more
Than you have heard him brag to you he will.

And is Antonio upset that he's been caught and is going to jail? No, it's that he thinks Sebastian wont get everything his heart desires:
It grieves me
Much more for what I cannot do for you
Than what befalls myself.

Viola starts to figure out that maybe Antonio isn't crazy but instead thinks she is Sebastian and has some of the my favorite lines:
Prove true, imagination, O, prove true,
That I, dear brother, be now ta'en for you!

THIS, just THIS:
O, if it prove,
Tempests are kind and salt waves fresh in love.

etsy shop FOR SURE. I love it. I love it so much.
sorry this was so brief, like I said I'm juggling a lot this week and I could talk for hours and hours about this play, but Midsummer is already taking up the hours and hours of Shakespeare time allotted for my life this week. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment