Tuesday, May 28, 2013

COMEDY Act 4

4.1
A pretty short scene. Highlights: Aparently Antipholus likes calling everyone a shrew. his wife, his servant. it's just the word of choice...
I should have chid you for not bringing it, But, like a shrew, you first begin to brawl.
and poor Dromio is still worried about his "spherical" lover:
To Adriana! that is where we dined, Where Dowsabel did claim me for her husband: She is too big, I hope, for me to compass. Thither I must, although against my will, For servants must their masters' minds fulfill.
4.2
I actually love this scene even though I find some of the messages problematic, but Adriana's words are just beautiful:
ADRIANA 
I cannot, nor I will not, hold me still;
My tongue, though not my heart, shall have his will.
He is deformed, crooked, old and sere,
Ill-faced, worse bodied, shapeless everywhere;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind;
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
LUCIANA 
Who would be jealous then of such a one?
No evil lost is wail'd when it is gone.
ADRIANA 
 Ah, but I think him better than I say,  
And yet would herein others' eyes were worse.  
Far from her nest the lapwing cries away:
My heart prays for him, though my tongue do curse.
I think that last line is a fantastic motto for life for all married couples when those fights pop up. Or even for our "enemies" for that matter, right? Add it to my list of sayings for things in our imaginary etsy shop!
Then we get this wonderfully dry exchange:
LUCIANA 
How hast thou lost thy breath?
DROMIO OF SYRACUSE 
By running fast.
And then there's more of the same confusion. Again, this gets old really fast when reading it but it always keeps my attention when i'm watching it.

4.3
We finally get to meet the Courtesan. And this lady is scary and smart and a force to be reckoned with, but alas she is also talking to the wrong Antipholus, and A&D's response is amazing
Courtezan 
Well met, well met, Master Antipholus. 
I see, sir, you have found the goldsmith now: 
Is that the chain you promised me to-day?
AofS 
Satan, avoid! I charge thee, tempt me not.
 DofS 
Master, is this Mistress Satan?
The term Mistress Satan should really be used more... yet for standing her ground, the courtesan is quite fair of what she demands... if only this pair of men knew at all what she was talking about!
Courtezan  
Give me the ring of mine you had at dinner,
Or, for my diamond, the chain you promised,  
And I'll be gone, sir, and not trouble you.
4.4
We get Adriana and the Courtesan in a scene together and AMAZINGLY they are not cat fighting.
Courtezan 
How say you now? is not your husband mad?
ADRIANA 
His incivility confirms no less. Good Doctor Pinch, you are a conjurer; Establish him in his true sense again, And I will please you what you will demand.
Ah yes, Doctor Pinch, possibly one of my favorite parts of the play because there are SO MANY ACTING CHOICES and you really can't go to big with his "curing" shenanigans. we also get another fantastic title from Antipholus:
Peace, doting wizard, peace! I am not mad.
So that's doting wizard and mistress satan. use them in your day to day interactions. GO!
ADRIANA 
Dissembling villain, thou speak'st false in both. 
AofE 
Dissembling harlot, thou art false in all; 
And art confederate with a damned pack 
To make a loathsome abject scorn of me:
Just going to say that it is hard to feel sorry for a guy who's been seeing a courtesan while his wife waits at home for him to come to dinner and then he decides he should call her a dissembling harlot...
So let's get back to the Antipholus we like more. Just after AofE and DofE are taken away in comes the other pair:
[Enter ANTIPHOLUS of Syracuse with his rapier drawn, and DROMIO of Syracuse]
LUCIANA 
God, for thy mercy! they are loose again.
 ADRIANA 
And come with naked swords. 
Let's call more help to have them bound again.
Officer 
Away! they'll kill us. 
[Exeunt all but Antipholus of Syracuse and Dromio of Syracuse]
AofS 
I see these witches are afraid of swords.
THE GREATEST WITCHES LINE OF ALL TIME!!!!! and probably my very favorite line in the play.
and that's a good note to end on. one more act tomorrow and then on to KING LEAR

No comments:

Post a Comment