Sunday, November 11, 2012

An Introduction...

So... I'm guessing most people who come here will already know me, but in case you stumbled here, a brief introduction: I'm a Shakespeare nerd and have been for a long time. I finished making my way through the complete works about 3 years ago and I graduated with my MFA in Shakespeare in May- just one week after I got married. So now that I have to work a "day job" I don't get to spend as much time exploring Shakespeare and I wanted to set myself a goal/public forum to keep that part of my brain sharp. Plus, I'm fascinated to see if/how falling in love/getting married has changed my view on the plays since I first read them. So with that in mind I'm planning to get through the Complete Works all over again in the next year. Not including the sonnets/long form poems, just the plays.
The plan: I'm going to cover the plays in the order I first read them EXCEPT for when I get to the two history tetralogies- those i'm going to cover in story order as per special request from a friend of mine.
I will break the plays down act by act and I'm not sure where that will lead me. I love covering Shakespeare from almost every angle so some entries may be basic reader reactions, some from an acting standpoint, directing ideas, teaching or scholarly roads, etc.
My hope is posting in blog form will A) hold me accountable and B) encourage some sort of reactions as I tend to think best when I'm in community to bring up angles i might not think of/challenge ideas/etc.
SO PLEASE feel free to leave a comment or send me a message via any other forum and feel free to read along on this journey or just pop in when i'm covering your favorites.
Here we go....
(The picture was taken by Katherine Miles Jones Photography and my wedding bouquet was filled with shakespeare scripts and created by the insanely talented Clara Giebel)

No comments:

Post a Comment