Friday, November 16, 2012

Act 5: PYRAMUS & THISBE!!!

WOO! Week one/Play one down. Won't be blogging over the weekend as I said in my last post so this is it till next week...
Theseus' best speech comes at the beginning of this act and I think I could spend a whole class just looking at this speech. Here are some highlights:
 Lovers and madmen have such seething brains,
Such shaping fantasies, that apprehend
More than cool reason ever comprehends.
The lunatic, the lover, and the poet
Are of imagination all compact.
The poet’s eye, in a fine frenzy rolling,
Doth glance from heaven to earth, from earth to heaven;
And as imagination bodies forth
The forms of things unknown, the poet’s pen
Turns them to shapes, and gives to aery nothing
A local habitation and a name.
Such tricks hath strong imagination,
If a poet's pen gives shapes, a local habitation, and a name to airy nothing- then poets and actors sound a lot alike. On a personal note, I like to think that actors and poety both fall somewhere precariously between saints and madmen...
Anyway, as Theseus tries to brush off the story of the 4 lovers in the woods, Hippolyta shows some reason to why their story may not be entirely fictitious- specifically that all of their stories match too well- and Theseus is spared having to respond with the entrance of the 4 lovers
When Theseus calls for what plays and masques are available for his wedding feastrings him the most deliciously absurd list for a wedding. His choices ALL seem out of place- battles with Centaurs, tearing apartm singers, or my personal favorite: "The thrice three Muses mourning for the death of Learning" So of course next to those  the "very tragical mirth" of Pyramus and Thisby is the clear winner.
 I do love that Theseus responds to that description as "hot ice and wondrous strange snow. How shall we find the concord of this discord?"
Finding the concord of this discord seems to be the theme of the whole show right?
And, actually, when Philostrate tries to dissuade Theseus from hearing Pyramus and Thisby, Theseus shows that either being married is making him less of a jerk, or that perhaps he is a pretty good rulern it comes to women. this is what he says:
I will hear that play;
For never any thing can be amiss
When simpleness and duty tender it.
He goes on to say that they will receive the mechanicals based on their "might, not merit" maybe that's the key to Theseus. Perhaps his mantra is might, not merit... and this speech is also LOVELY and, to me at least, redeeming.
And then the play begins with Quince's prologue. TEACHING MOMENT: Quince's prologue makes perfect sense if you move around the punctuation. This is a pretty smart average joe who is nervous as hell! And I think an actor should know how the speech is supposed to go to get the most mileage out of screwing that up.
I really don't have any specific things to highlight about Pyramus and Thisby but I will once again declare my love for this is my FAVORITE part of the show Everything about it makes me giggle, even when reading it. You should really just experience all of it... take seven moments and check out this rendition by a pretty famous bunch of guys:
once the play is over Theseus announces that it is bedtime- something he was eager for over 100 lines ago. He is sure to mention that it is almost "fairy time" a hint to the audience that more is coming, perhaps?
This is where I actually strongly agree with Zac that the play feels like it ends over and over again and I am pretty sure I will make some strong cuts to everything that comes after Pyrumus and Thisby- in fact, I think I will cut all the lines between Theseus' speech and Puck's epilogue.
Again, this goes back to my belief that the fairy stuff is not the best part of the play- and I dont think the fact that the fairies bless the best bridal bed (creepy- that basically means all the invisible fairies are going to have some voyeuristic contest) just so whoever is the "best" won't have deformed children- seriously y'all. A sample of why I have no qualms cutting this:
And the blots of Nature's hand
Shall not in their issue stand;
Never mole, hare-lip, nor scar,
Despised in nativity,
Shall upon their children be
No need to shame any of the children/parents with moles or scars in the audience, right?
If I was directing this show in a fancy high tech theat is how the end of this play would look- Theseus would not even get to his final speech, rather he would tell Bottom no epilogue but "come, your bergomask" and a scrim would fall so that the lovers and royals are watching the mechanicals do their ending dance in silluette which would end around the same time as Puck's speech leaving Puck and Bottom to bow- one in shadow one in light- at the same time. and leaving the lovers to start clap an instant before the audience does
I find epilogues really interesting and I don't have anything super intelligent to say about them other than I've ready great articles on how much social psychology went in to writing them. just wanted to say that I will be noting epilogues more as we work our way through the cannon.
(Today's picture is obviously from Pyramus and Thisbe. It features Paul Rycik and Brian Falbo as the wall and Thisbe)
Give me your hands if we be friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment